Friday, September 16, 2011

I want to run again.....

I have not been running for about 3 months. If you have been reading my blog for a while then you probably have read about my running journey. For those of you that do not know let me give you a very brief but hopefully informative summary.


My running began because I knew I had to get a grip on my health. I was basically close to 100 lbs over weight and miserable physically. I hated the way I looked and felt. I could still play my favorite sports and did on occasion but they were very few and far between. I knew I could not let that ability to play sports fool me any longer into thinking there was no problem. I knew from past experiences that just starting a hardcore gym routine  was not going to last because I had tried and stopped so many times. I knew I needed something to entice my competitive nature. So what a better way then to start running. It was something that I did not need anyone else to do with me and yet there could be standards and goals I could set out to beat. Mostly competing with myself, but that was great because I do this with almost everything I do anyway whether it be a record I had set on Nintendo Wii or just other random things. So I thought to myself "running" what a perfect way to challenge myself and get active. So i began my journey. It was really really harder then I thought and I faced walls from cardio endurance walls to joint pain walls to waking up sick on an important running day walls, but I pretty much dug deeper then I had at anytime in my life and broke through all of those. I was very proud at that point in my journey.


(You can read the whole journey here "A Run for my Life"


Even though I worked very hard and was consistent the weight was not coming off the way I had hoped. Diet played a part but my body adapting to the same routine  played a bigger part. I had reached a place in running where I was not progressing and I was very discouraged. I had come a long way but to not progress was driving me crazy and discouraging me. I decided to focus on weight loss in general. I began to educate myself and immerse myself into the nutrition and exercise world, learning all I could from any source I could find. I was successful and I am down 33 pounds since that plateau where running was not getting the weight off, however as I lost the weight and began other forms of training and exercise, I had lost my time to run and a little of my zeal to run as well. I have run a couple times in the last 3 months but only as a warm up for a class I attend that a friend teaches and so it was like a half mile or so run but nothing that pushed me all that much.. Well the way I felt running just that scared me because I felt like my running endurance had decreased how ever my cardio during aerobic sessions felt increased.  I was perplexed yet to afraid to start running again for the fear of being back to square 1.  Well over the last couple of weeks I have just been craving a run. I have procrastinated because if I could not run even the distance I did before it would really discourage me but finally this week I gave it a go. I ran on Tuesday and actually because of poor planning only had time to run 1 mile at most but I forced myself to do it anyway just to feel that start feeling again. I knew the longer I put it off the harder it would be to start. So off I went to run this mile on Tuesday, however first let me say that when I stopped running 3 months ago my average pace was about a 12 minute mile sometimes 11:30 if I was focused or at a race,  but once running I did feel lighter on my feet and I was like "wow I can feel that 33 lbs gone".  I also noticed that my pace felt swifter. I use my phone to track my runs with GPS and so I glaced at it and it said I was around a 10 min pace. I could not believe it. So I finished that mile looked down and it said I completed it in 9 min 34 sec. I was stoked and in that moment I was reminded of a dream I had just had that night before. I honestly in the dream I had just ran a mile at that time. So that was a pretty freaky feeling. Well today I set out to run 2 miles and I knew that I could not keep my new pace for the whole two miles because I would tire quickly but I was excited to see what it be for the whole 2 miles. I pushed myself pretty hard to keep a decent pace and when I finished today my pace for 2 miles was 9:39 per mile ..... I am so elated with this. I am pretty sure I could not have gone a 3rd but for day 2 after not running for a while I am very ENCOURAGED verses discouraged as I thought I would be. I am so glad to be back running again. There is just an indescribable feeling running gives me. Its a natural high and sense of accomplishment nothing else gives me.  Thanks for sharing this with me by reading my blog. Be blessed everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment