Monday, February 25, 2013

First 3 Miler Since Injury Hiatus

If you did not read my previous post to this one it would help with the understanding of this one.

So on to to a new chapter of running for me. So I had my coming back to running emotional party the other day as you read in my post.  As great as it seems to have found my passion and myself with running again there is a lot of hard work ahead of me. Before my little hiatus from running happened, I went from 100 pounds overweight and not being able to jog even 60 seconds without feeling like I was going to die, to running 3.1 miles in 7 weeks in a time of 39:54 to my best persona record (PR) last year of that same race of 25:22. Not only that but last summer completely my first half marathon of 13.1 miles in 2 hours and 16 minutes. 

I know that my starting place is completely different this time because I have a foundation and was able to still run 2 miles the other day, but my expectations and goals for growth will still take just as much hard work to obtain. I am not entirely sure what those goals will be just yet and you will have to wait until a future post to find those out, but I want them to be something that only dedication can achieve much like my first goal of going from the couch and sedentary to running a 3.1 mile race.

Since my last post I did go for another run on Saturday with my wife. I really wanted to see where I was with my cardio and muscle endurance since the break I had taken. I had decided we would go for 3 miles.  Even though this was a short run for me in the past I knew that it would not feel short that day.  We did complete it but honestly there were moments I had to dig deep to keep going.  Because I had trained my muscle memory to stride at a certain speed comfortably in the past my legs still wanted to run that way which I think is the biggest contributor to that run being so difficult.  I hated though to force myself to run slower which would change my gait and probably cause me to heel to strike which I had worked so hard on not doing anymore.  I was pleased though that my form came back to me because in the end that was where my biggest gains in endurance came from.  Learning to run more efficiently I mean.   For a little info on that you can visit the Running Efficiency page of my blog.

The run went fairly well.  I was pushed a little with my cardio and legs were fatiguing but over all it felt great.  I was a little curious to know what I would feel like the next day, especially my foot that has been injured and still a little painful, but everything was great.  No soreness or stiffness the next morning or today.

Tomorrow is Tuesday which is one of the days I like to run. It looks like its going to be cold and rainy but that never stopped me before so I am going to suck it up and go for it.  One thing I learned in my past adventures was how to push through those feelings of dreading the weather or current physical feelings because I was always proud of completing my run and I never regretted one. Since the injury, one thing that has been hard even for other types of workouts, be it strength or anything, was the ability to push through and just do it despite how I felt or my surroundings. I miss having that grit and determination and what a better way to regain it then by forcing myself to run tomorrow with a high of 36 degrees and it raining off and on. 

Be Blessed!!!!  and remember  BELIEVE, TRUST, CHANGE!!!

www.philliplafon.com
www.facebook.com/gogetit2
www.facebook.com/philsrunning

No comments:

Post a Comment